July 14, 2004

My ProScout Experience

Last night I went to a ProScout open call for models, actors, and TV talent. It was a very scary experience, but really great at the same time. I filled out an application, then stood in line with 100+ other teens, preteens, and kids, to be looked at by the scouts.

Stop by every day to shop our new Deal of the Day at BarnesandNoble.com!

The basic jist of it: You walk up, talk to the guy for 10 seconds or less, he evaluates your physical appearence, then gives you a card and asks you to stay or tells you "You're not what we're looking for." So I go up, he asks me about school, what I do for fun... I laid on the TV, Radio, Theatre heavily and he was impressed and gave me a card! I felt like I was on The Bachelor or something and I got a rose! LOL!

I sat back down and waited for everyone else to go. He ended up keeping about 25 out of the 100 people there. He talked to us a LONG time about the business and how ProScout is legit and not a scam and blah blah. Then we watched a video about ProScout and stuff. I was surprised at the number of famous people that came through them and the positive things they had to say. I mean, I'm a broadcast student so I realize a propagana film when I see one, but this one wasn't too bad.

Because I got a card, they invited me to their big model/agent convention in Columbus, OH on August 28 and 29. It costs $595.00 plus hotel and travel, but you are seen by over 40 top agents from Ford Models, Elite and other modeling places, but top TV execs from the five major networks, and my person goal- MTV. I am seriously considering going to this convention and making the most of the experience. It's a lot of money, but it's a HUGE way to get my foot in the door and get the ball rolling.

Save up to 70% on Textbook Rentals, plus Free Return Shipping at BarnesandNoble.com!

After doing a lot of news writing at my internship (which I quit) versus being an on-air personality and getting recognized around town and stuff, I know that being the talent is what I want to do. I like news and writing, but I find that it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life! I guess I'm conceited, but I like attention!

Now I just have to talk it over with the 'rents and see what we can work out. More to come...