July 20, 2004

"WE'RE REAL!"

Today while I was at my shift Beth Brooks called me up and asked if this kid could come up and take a look at our radio station, so I said sure. His name was Alex, a sophomore at W&J. They don't have a communications major there, which I thought was weird, but he was involved with their radio and newspaper. (Alex was a jittery and nervous kid, I hope he finds his place in broadcasting!) He was saying how much nicer our station is than W&J and how it's more realistic. Apparently their station doesn't really have a format, it's "Classic rock from the 80s" all day long, and then students can just sign up and have their own shows at night. He had a hard time understanding that we had an ACTUAL format and we didn't have any "shows." He kept asking about our shows and it took me a while to say WE DONT' GET TO PLAY WHATEVER WE WANT! WE'RE REAL! He listened to me do the news and weather and was interested. He's from Wilmington, and is thinking about transferring to WC for communications. More power to ya, Alex!