November 5, 2006

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Everyone likes a compliment, but this time she went too far! My fellow/former WCN broadcaster Liz Farry posted a really nice, unnecessary entry about me in her blog this week. It's really flattering and I appreciate her opinion very much. I'm not above passing along what she wrote, so feel free to read it here. Liz brought up some really important points in her blog (even ones not about me!) that I think anyone who posts on the internet should think about.

Liz is an amazing broadcaster herself. I met her officially on Halloween of my junior year when she was the ONLY freshman to attend our viewing party of the Halloween edition of The County Line. I knew right away that she was a go-getter and would succeed in the business. Liz has always acted in a professional manner while getting the job done. She is driven and ambitious and will not stop until she reaches her goals. I knew she would be succesful at Westminster and I know she will be successful in the real world. She looks pretty good on camera, too!

Liz mentioned that she remembered me saying that I don't know exactly what I want to do with my career, and that is still definitely the case. I'm finding out that as I grow professionally I'm checking more things off my list that I DON'T want to do, rather than do want to do. That's not necessarily a bad thing. When I was an NBC Page we had a workshop with Conan O'Brien. He told the Pages that they should always remember one improtant rule: Your career is not linear. You expect to lay the track out infront of you and follow them to your end career. You have to jump around and move from area to area to get where you want to go. I often have to remind myself of this philosophy.

I also find it funny to look back at how many times I thought I was at the top of the food chain, only to be shoved back to the bottom after a short while. When you're in high school you spend all four years trying to get the top. Eventually you become a senior and you're the king of the school. Unfortunately, the power is short lived and you quickly become fresh meat again when you go to college. It takes another four years before you're at the top again. Once again, it's taken away and you're at the bottom again... only this time it takes MUCH longer than four years to get to the top again. Pretty much the whole rest of your life. I remember being in college and feeling so exhausted after having three hours of class a day, three days a week. Now I work ten to twelve hours a day five days a week... and will do that until I retire. Hope that doesn't scare anyone who hasn't graduated yet, but it's what you have to do if you wanna be successful! I'm just glad that I'm doing in for a career that I really want and that makes me happy.