August 10, 2008

Fuerzabruta at the Daryl Roth Theatre

Saturday night I had the chance to check out one of the coolest shows I've seen in quite some time. While I do like a good play or musical, I tend to avoid most of them because I'm so easily cheesed out, but when Carolyn found cheap(ish) tickets to see Fuerzabruta I couldn't pass up the chance to see it.

I had heard about Fuerzabruta a while ago, and it came back into my life during the last cycle of Top Model (of course it comes back to Top Model, right?) when the girls slid around in water on a clear tarp. (Refresh your memory here.) I guess it would be described as a performance art, dance and Cirque du Soleil-esque show with thumping music and a very interactive cast. The water scenes are even more magical with the real performers.

The show takes place at The Daryl Roth Theatre in Union Square: Far off from the bright lights of Broadway, which makes for an interesting experience. The theater is small, but very very tall; almost like a missile silo. There are no seats. You stand in the center of this cylindrical room and are constantly being corralled this way and that way to allow performers to appear all around you... and from above. The performers even come into the crowd for a wet and wild dance party at the end. Yes, you get wet. Very, very wet.

Take a look at trailer of what you can expect if you attend a performance of Fuerzabruta.

Fuerzabruta in New York City


You can't really get the full idea of what the show is like until you see it in person. Even though I still don't really understand the storyline of the show (Carolyn says it's a death story, which makes sense, even though it's a fun and energetic show) but I had an awesome time. If you are going to see the show or plan on seeing it soon (you should) let me give you a few pieces of advice.
  1. Bring your camera. They let you take non-flash photography and video, and you will get some amazing pictures. I'm bummed because this was the ONE time I didn't bring mine.

  2. Go to the late show and get drunk before. Seriously. We went at 7pm (it's only an hour long) and would have enjoyed it so much more if we had a little to drink before and gone to the 10pm show. The lights, music and dancing would have been a blast.

  3. Be prepared to get wet. I don't want to give much away, but at the end of the show the audience gets drenched. It's a really fun experience and you should fully participate. The drinking might help, too.
Have you seen Fuerzabruta before? What did you think? Let me know!



Related Things: