January 7, 2009

Embarrassing Yearbook Photos: Kindergarten

Before I premiere this new, weekly series called Embarrassing Yearbook Photos I would like to say, "you're welcome." Don't ask me why I would allow myself to be humiliated and horrified (humidified, as Ruby would say) on my own blog, but I guess it's better to call myself out before someone else does (like Cailtlin did before).

So without further ado, let us start where it all began, Kindergarten.


Now, I actually can't confirm if this my actual Kindergarten photo (I don't even know if we had pix taken in K), but it's definitely from that year. How stylish is that sweater and black slacks? Mothers, Keep your daughters out of the sandbox!

The year was 1988 and I had afternoon Kindergarten (it was only half a day in my town). My teacher was Mrs. Shaw. She was "a screamer" as my brother would later coin, but I remember her being very nice. She had HUGE glasses and I seem to recall many a polka dotted dress. I remember thinking she was older, like a mom, but then again anyone over 12 is old to a 6-year-old, so she was probably still in her 20s.

I don't remember a whole lot about Kindergarten itself, except that I was the lead role in our class production of The Ugly Duckling. Who knew how much of a metaphor that would be for my life? Ok, so it's not like that story at all unless the Ugly Duckling started out adorable, got really awkward and gangly and poorly-styled for a good many years, then somehow managed to pull himself together as a passable member of society as an adult. I think my memory of the story is cloudy.

I'm going to post a new photo every Wednesday until I run out, so make sure you check back because they get A LOT WORSE before they get better.

Again- You're welcome.