January 30, 2009

MTV Too Incestuous for My Taste

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that many of you will agree with me on this one... Is MTV drinking a little too much of their own Kool-Aid lately?

I've been noticing some trends throughout the network (and its sister channels like VH1) and it all really came into focus while watching and episode of Real World: Brooklyn last week. Can MTV generate any original series or story lines that aren't spawned from something they are already doing or affiliated with? I'm all for cross-network branding and promotion (heck, I do it for a living) but when the idea smacks me in the face one too many times it's mostly just annoying and makes me (the viewer) feel like the network thinks I must be dumb.

While watching Real World I witnessed the roommates frequenting the Lower East Side bar Angels and Kings, which is owned by Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz, who has a pretty tight relationship with MTV after hosting FNMTV. A few roommates who were seeking management met up with a rep, who they met at Angels and Kings, who sent them to Pete's management company, to where they were directed to the website FriendsorEnemies.com, which contributed to by Wentz and is all part of this whole bar/band/manager/MTV circle jerk. I know producers have to do a little pre-setup of events for even the most "real" of reality show, but it all seems a little too self-promoting to me. (Also, can the Brooklyn roommates actually stay in their respective borough and stop driving everywhere?)

I will admit that I have never seen a full episode of The Hills, but I have been watching The City because I really do enjoy seeing places in my 'hood and the cinematography is beautiful (just ignore the plot/characters to maintain your sanity). But let me get this straight: Whitney came to The City from The Hills, which starred Lauren Conrad, who came from Laguna Beach. Oh, and don't forget Brody Jenner from Laguna who got his own homoerotic competition show Bromance. Aren't there any other interesting people out there to follow, or will MTV just keep spinning people off until the only way to get on a TV show is to fake-friend someone who already has one?

I do have to give credit though to VH1 for actually sort of having a sense of humor about spinning off their seemingly-endless series of dating/moneygrubbing shows. It all started from The Surreal Life which was basically a show for people who didn't have a show. I mean, take a look at this chain of shows that the network has created:
Strange Love is a spin-off of The Surreal Life,
Flavor of Love is a spin-off of Strange Love,
I Love New York features Tiffany "New York" Pollard from Flavor of Love
Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School, is a spin-off of Flavor of Love
Rock of Love features Bret Michaels searching for love.
Rock of Love Girls: Charm School 2 is a spin-off of Rock of Love with Bret Michaels
I Love Money is a spin-off of Flavor of Love, I Love New York,Real Chance of Love, and Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.
New York Goes to Hollywood is a spin-off of I Love New York.
Real Chance of Love is a spin-off of I Love New York and I Love Money.
and now we have Rock of Love Bus, I Love Money 2 and several other ______ of Loves in the works. Kudos to you, VH1 because I'm pretty sure you know that all of these contestants and hosts are tragic and continue to spin them off for our entrainment. Thanks.

Then there is the obvious blood oath that MTV has with the princess of pop, Britney Spears. I said it once and I'll say it 10,000 more times until someone actually listens to me, but MTV totally has some devil deal with Britney to bring her back up to the pop superstar level she once was. I'm not sure if they need her or if she needs them or if they both need each other, but there must be some serious behind-the-scenes dealings going on. To review- Britney totally effed up during the 2007 VMAs, the following year MTV then gave her 3 awards for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and made her the belle of the ball, then they unveiled thei
r "no question off limits" documentary to get us all back in her corner, and just this week America's Best Dance Crew featured routines choreographed to Britney songs, where in promos she is praised and praised for being the "queen of pop music" and "biggest name in music" and other junk like that.

So this was long and complainy, but are you guys smellin' what I'm steppin' in or what? I guess I'm just starting to get annoyed that MTV seems to be alluding to the fact that there are only a handful of TV personalities we should care about and only a dozen or so artists who are doing anything in the music industry at the current time.

Am I just too old? Discuss.

Related Things: