April 7, 2009

I Deleted My MySpace Page...

...and I liked it.

Last week I officially ended my eRelationship with MySpace.com. It's not that MySpace did anything wrong... I just wasn't that into it anymore. Before Facebook was available to everyone in the world (including your boss, parents, coworkers and other awkward parties) MySpace was the destination for an online identity. You could upload photos albums, choose the look and feel of your profile page and even add videos or music from your favorite artists. The customization was great, and there was also a nice level of anonymity.

Now that Facebook is the mainstay of social networking (although it's getting a little crowded in there, too, newsfeed) I believe that MySpace is basically unnecessary. Besides the availability of streaming music I just don't see much use for it anymore. The customization became overbearing, the interface is clunky and it just didn't evolve with the changing ways of online interaction like other sites. I realized that I was only checking my page a few times a week, and even then wasn't interacting with anyone... just logging in to log in. Granted, I still have a blog, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube Channel but my MySpace page was the weakest link in my online existence.


I might be a member of a handful of other sites, but it does genuinely feel good to unplug a little, no matter how small. Bye bye, MySpace. We had a good run, but I think I've outgrown you.

Are you still on MySpace? What do you think?