June 22, 2009

Disney/Pixar's 'Up' Will Lift Your Spirits

On a dreary Sunday afternoon after what seems like a month's worth of rainy days I decided to finally go see Disney/Pixar's new movie Up. Let me tell you, I can't remember the last time I got choked up so quickly or so often during an animated feature.

The premise is simple: A crotchety old man stays holed up in the house he shared with his late wife. When a big construction company tries to force him out of the neighborhood he lifts his home up with millions of balloons to set sail for the one place he and his wife were never able to visit together. Along the way he picks up an eager wilderness explorer, a "talking" dog and a rarely-seen jungle creature.

I can't write too much about the plot because it will give a lot away, but Up was both touching and hilarious at the same time. Not to mention that seeing it in 3-D is an even wilder experience. The dopey dog, Doug, was definitely my favorite character but each of the few supporting roles had their unique charm.

If you haven't seen Up yet but have been thinking about it I highly suggest you take a few hours out of your day and check it out. Even if you have to go by yourself, you'll really enjoy it.