January 4, 2010

TV Uses More Green Screen Than You Might Think

I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Lost this weekend (OMG how excited are you for season 6 to start?!) and found myself wondering how and where they film so much of their outside jungle scenes.  I know it's in Hawaii, but I'd love to know specifics.  Do they really do everything on location, or do they just use some small screen magic to create certain scenes?

The latter is completely possible given that even many shows use green screen technology to enhance even the simplest of scenes.  Check out this cool YouTube clip for some examples.


I find the New York City scenes particularly interesting. Considering that I often see film crews setting up for shoots all over the city I'm kind of surprised at how many shots were actually digitally enhanced.

Man, I love TV.