July 28, 2010

Maroon 5 Rock the Beacon Theatre for Fuse

Last night I was invited to see Maroon 5 perform a special tour kick-off concert at NYC's Beacon Theatre. The show -- creatively called Fuse Presents: Maroon 5 Live From the Beacon Theatre -- was broadcast live on Fuse and featured Adam Levine and co. in a 90-minute set of their greatest hits, plus new material from their upcoming album Hands All Over.

Maroon 5 Beacon Theatre
Photo by Mark Sundstrom/Fuse

I saw Maroon 5 way back when I was in high school. They played the side stage at a Sheryl Crow/Train concert (I went with my mom, because we're awesome) and just had their first single on the radio. I've always liked their music, but haven't seen them live since. Let me tell you -- these dudes can rock! I forgot just how many hits they had until they played them all back to back and front-man Levine sure knows how to command an audience.

What I love about the 5 is that not only can they rock hard on guitars and drum kits, but they can effortlessly switch into jazzier numbers with the same amount of gusto. They even covered Alicia Key's "If I Ain't Got You" and worked in Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do with It?" into one of their numbers. It takes guts to cover such great singers but the boys did it well.

Maroon 5 will be touring the country until October, so if even you're just the tiniest bit a fan I think you should check out one of their shows. And if you missed their live concert on Fuse last night, have no fear! The show will encore on Sunday, August 1 at 3pm and 8pm so set your DVRs now.