October 14, 2004

Homecoming's Here!

It's hard to believe that it's homecoming at Westminster already! I feel like it was just August a few days ago! This weekend is going to be a lot of fun. Theta Chi is doing Scooby Doo as their float and I get to be a zombie! Rock on! I've been pretty busy with dance team, dance theater, and Kiss Me, Kate. Broadcasting does keep me the busiest of all though!

This week in broadcasting I shot another package the The County Line. I revisted flood victims that I talked to one month ago just as the floodwaters reached their peak. Now that things are dried up and back to normal some people are having harder times than others. Patty Twigg of New Wilmington had VERY little damage to her rental home, even though the water came up to her front door. People just down the road, however, lost almost everything on the ground levels of their homes and even had to be rescued by boat! Check out The County Line this week, 7:30 on Thursday and Friday on WCN!

The hunt for a job is always in the back of my mind... Unlike many of my fellow capstoners, I don't really have time to find a job outside of my duties as News Director at Westminster. I've been making The County Line my priority since sophomore year, and it's not something that I am ready to scale back any time soon. I know that I need to start getting my resume and resume tapes ready to send out to potential employers, but right now I'm just enjoying doing a lot of extracurricular activities because once I enter the "real world" I won't have much time to do those kinds of things.

I found an article this week called "On the Hot Seat" about how network execs are finding the heat shifted to them once ratings start to decline. In the fall season to date, NBC has seen its ratings in the key 18-49 demographic fall 16 percent, while CBS has seen an 11 percent jump and ABC has seen a gain of 3 percent. NBC exec Jeff Zucker is now coming under fire after the network passed on the show "Desperate Housewives" which is now a huge success for ABC. Looks like the ratings are going to be shifting, and that might cost some people their jobs! Oh, the stability of broadcasting!