December 4, 2004

Ready and Rarin' to go!

This week in broadcasting has been mostly the same old for me. Morning show, news meeting, radio shifts and The County Line. We had a pretty unique show this week. A few minor technical mistakes, a neat interview segment and we timed out really well. It's hard to believe that there's only one more show left this semester. We're looking to fill in some holes for next semester, and also prepare people to take over new positions in the fall. Mr. Weaver and I discussed having me fill in for one of the anchor positions. He was really for it, and I would definitely like the experience. We'll have to see how we can work it out.

The career seach is heating up because I'm getting REALLY hungry about finding a job and took some serious steps this week towards doing so. I sent my resume to Nickelodeon for a writer position for U Pick Live, a sort of TRL for cartoon shows. A job like that would be really fun, and Nick is a part of MTVNetworks, which is where I'd like to end up. I also finally completed and burned my DJ resume CD, which includes a 90sec DJ aircheck and 6 promo spots to show off my production skills. I think I've been channeling Julie this week because I've been printing off job openings and putting them together in a binder so that I can easily compare them. I plan on sending out some stuff next week. I also need to make copies of my headshots to send out with a few applications. There are 2 jobs that I am interested in that ask to have color photos attached. I'm ok with that.

Like I said before, it kinda sucks that BC jobs need to be filled immediately, especially since I really can't start working until May. Unlike others though, I really can't bring myself to drop my responsibilities at Titan Radio and WCN to take on a full or part time job. I have worked really hard for years to prepare myself to get a job in broadcasting, but I have also worked really hard to get the leadership positions I have here at Westminster. I don't want to turn my back on those responsibilities now, especially when the people who appointed me to the positions could be valuable references in the future. Even though I have a MAJOR itch to find a job now, I'm going to enjoy the rest of my college career because, let's face it, I'm going to work for the rest of my life.

I found an article about how blogs are becoming a powerful force for companies to use. One experted is saying that media needs to "adapt or die" when it comes to the use of blogs. I think most people know what a blog is now, and they're really becoming a trend in the industry. Don't all us capstoners feel special now?!