January 21, 2005

Back in Action!

Classes are back in session and I'm gearing up for my last semester at Westminster... how scary is that?!!

This week in broadcasting was pretty minimal. Lots of meetings and planning for the semester. I've been working closely with the new radio news director, Liz Farry, and she is awesome! We've come up with some really great strategies for the semester and set some very good goals. I'm looking forward to Titan Radio News and The County Line starting up again so I can fall back into the groove of broadcasting. My personal goals for this semester are to churn out at least three, resume-quality packages, anchor regularly, and slowly ween myself off of producer control of the show. I think the third is going to be the hardest!

My career goals are always floating in the back of my brain. I'm waiting to hear back from someone at the Page Program at NBC to set up an interview. I'll be contacting them next week if I don't hear from them before. If I get a call I'll have to go back to NYC twice for a round of interviews... pretty cool! I'm also looking at some places in Chicago because I really liked my experience there as well. I'll pretty much take a job where ever I can find one, but I'm trying to look in key areas as of right now.
**UPDATE 2:50pm** I just received an email from Nikki Battiste, the girl I visited with at NBC in New York. She said my resume is sitting on the guy's desk from the Page Program and all he needs is my application! She said he recognized my name from somewhere, too! Guess I better get on that application!

I found an article on MTVNews about how some very popular music artists are making TV and other kinds of ads promoting the value of radio. It is an effort to combat the growing popularity of satellite radio and the internet. Radio: You Hear it here first! This is the first ad campaign of its kind and should spark some controversy over the new technology.