May 24, 2005

My First Week Home

This week was my first full week home from college. I've been trying to keep busy so I don't get too bored sitting at home while everyone else in the world is off in school or being employed! Haha. I'm really itching to find some part-time work or something to eat up time, but with my interview in 2 weeks, it's not really worth it. I may be moving soon!

In preparation for the interview I have been brainstorming on ideas of what to do for my presentation. I think I've come up with a pretty creative idea, if I don't say so myself. What I'm going to do is give everyone a "DVD" about me. I'm making cover art for the box with my resume and probably a photo or something. The DVD booklet is going to basically be the printed out version of my presentation, and then the CD inside is going to be my e-portfolio! (Proud, Mr. Weaver?) They won't actually be able to view my e-portfolio at the interview because I only have 2 minutes, but it will give them something to hang on to afterwards and check out later. Pretty nifty, huh?

The career search is still on! While the NBC interview is the big one I have, that hasn't stopped me from applying elsewhere. I'm utilizing contacts that I currently have with people working at other stations and looking for new leads. I'm sending my materials to Melissa Batulis at WENY-TV about a one-man band opening there. Hopefully she can pass my tape on to the right people. I'm waiting to get copies of some old rundowns so that I can include them in my producer package. I've also applied to a few radio stations. Today I sent apps to:

WKST-FM Pittsburgh, PA
WXTM-FM Cleveland, OH
KMXV-FM Kansas City, MO

We'll see what we get back.

Lesson of the week: Office supplies are expensive! But if you're thrifty you can save on some stuff. Post office workers can also be a help or a hindrance. Local workers in New Wilmington let me pay almost $3.00 a parcel with media mail to send out cassette tapes for jobs, but the guy who helped me today in Cranberry Twp. told me that if I sent it first class it would only cost $.83! That's a big difference to a poor kid who is sending out around 5 tapes a week. Ask questions!