November 23, 2006

Many Thanks

I am thankful for the opportunity to live in the greatest city on earth for almost a year and half now. I've said that I wanted to live in New York City since I was in 8th or 9th grade and it's pretty cool to realize that it's finally happened. Although I probably won't stay here forever, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else at the moment. Sometimes it's noisy and expensive and crazy and overwhelming, but all of the amazing experiences that I've had here greatly outweigh the stress this city can put on a person. I will have great stories to tell when I'm 80.

I am thankful for my apartment in the city. After living in two rats nests apartments it feels great to finally have a place where I feel clean, safe and sound. I have finally found a place that suits my needs and doesn't make me (too) poor from week to week. It's in a quiet part of town, but not too far away from the action. We have space and, although I sleep in the living room, I really feel like this place is really a home and not just a place to put my stuff.

I am thankful to share my wonderful apartment with a wonderful roommate. Carolyn (or Carol as I call her) has quickly grown from being a coworker, to friend, to roommate, to confidant and best friend. We are so similar in our attitudes and beliefs that it's no wonder we ended up living together. Even though we want to murder each other sometimes, I couldn't imagine coming home and watching television and gorging on takeout with anyone else. Go, go big girl!

I am thankful for the indescribable year at spent in the NBC Page Program. Last year on Thanksgiving I was still in New York and working. It was slightly annoying to have to work on Thanksgiving, but I had to stay because I was working for Late Night with Conan O'Brien and we were taping a show that day. The energy of the entire day was great. Even though it was a "normal" show taping, the cast, crew and audience knew it was a special day. As a bonus, my fellow Page Jeanette and I got to peak at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as it marched down Broadway a few blocks away. The friends and contacts that I made in my year at NBC cannot be matched. Each and every person that I worked with is going to be someone big in the future, and I know that I can call on a fellow Page when I need help with anything... business or personal. Thank you.

Most important, I am thankful for my family and all of the things they do for me. None of the things I listed above would be possible if I didn't have the love and support of my family. The have helped me financially and inspirationally and taught me that I can do whatever I want if I set my mind to it. I know that my family will always have my back when I need them, which I've unfortunately learned isn't that case for everyone out there. I love all of you very much an appreciate your support each and every day.

Happy Thanksgiving!