May 5, 2009

I Read a Book: "Sellevision" by Augusten Burroughs

Don't judge me, but ever since I mistakenly received a book for Christmas and successfully read it I have really been trying hard to engage in the one form of media I have always avoided: Books. I enlisted the help of a few people to assist me in finding reading material that I might actually enjoy. The first submission was from Jacki who gave me her copy of Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs.

Burroughs is the author of several memoirs, including the best-selling "Running with Scissors," but Sellevision is his first piece of fiction.

The book centers around a popular home shopping network (not the real HSN, one called Sellevision) and its hosts. It's a total soap opera on the pages with sex, backstabbing, betrayal and lots and lots of plot twists. It's a totally voyeuristic and entertaining read and once I really hunkered down to read it (what? I'm trying!) it only took me two round-trip plane rides to complete. It's no "War and Peace" but it's a fun read, which should mean a lot coming from someone like me who finds it very difficult to put the words "fun" and "read" in the same sentence.

I'm already on to my next read, but any recommendations for future books would be much appreciated!