July 8, 2009

I Read a Book: "My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands" by Chelsea Handler

After many recommendations from friends and readers I decided to pick up Chelsea Handler's book My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands for my trip to the beach last week. Everyone said it is a fun, easy read and they were absolutely right. I finished the whole thing in just a few days and found my self chuckling and cringing along the way.

The basic plot line is this: Chelsea Handler was/is an drunk slut. I mean... let's not sugarcoat it. Each personal essay relives a funny, awkward or unbelievable sexual experience Handler had at some point in her life. From her sister daring her to photograph her parents having sex when she was 7 to waking up in a hotel room with a little person, Handler shares even the most embarrassingly intimate details of her hook ups all while being hilarious and somehow endearing at the same time. Chapter titles like "Dumb and Dumber," "Shrinky Dink" and "Skid Mark" should give you some indication of what you'll be reading.

I give Chelsea massive props for sharing these stories with the world and embarrassing her friends and family along the way. The book was quick, funny and made me feel just a little bit better about myself and my regrettable actions of the past.

Have you read My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands? What did you think? Should I pick up her next book Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea? Let me know!