July 13, 2009

Starbucks Reusable Cup: Savvy or Sucker?

I was in line for my afternoon pick-me-up at Starbucks on 15th and 9th today with my venti iced coffee cup in hand, prepared for my $.54 refill. Before I made it to the register my coworker Jenn pointed out a nifty reusable look-a-like on a shelf nearby.


This Starbucks grande 16 Oz clear insulated tumbler was $12.95 and was a major impulse buy, but the environmentalist inside of me couldn't pass it up. The tumbler looks exactly like a venti drink cup (although it fits a grande-sized amount because it's insulated) and sports a screw-on lip that is super sturdy. The signature green straw comes with the cup and is a thick, solid plastic. It also has a little bump at the bottom so it can't be pulled out of the lid by mistake!

It's good for the planet, but more importantly it's good for my wallet since I won't be spending the $3.03 every morning on a venti iced coffee. $13 seems expensive, but let's do the math. I was spending $3.03 a day, mug was $12.95 and refills are only $.54. It will only take me 4 days to get my money's worth.

So, am I eco-chic or just a chump?