September 8, 2009

Britney Does Alanis; Bigger Things In The Works?

Ok... What exactly is going on here, people?

On Saturday night Britney Spears busted out a cover of Alanis Morissette's 1995 hit "You Oughta Know" during her concert stop in Greensboro, North Carolina. Even more shocking than the choice of cover was the fact that ol' Britney was singing live! And it wasn't that bad! It was actually kinda good!


Very, very interesting turn of events. The web is buzzing with comparisons to Beyonce's cover of the song, which is currently included on her tour as well (watch it 2:30 into this clip). Beyonce worked her version into "If I Were A Boy" which fits nicely. Is Britney just biting her idea? Or is something bigger going on? What's
with all the interest in Alanis?

Indulge me in my deep conspiracy theory for a moment...

Jagged Litte Pill, the Alanis album with "You Oughta Know", came out in the summer of 1995... 14 years ago. (Insane that it was 14 years ago! I was 12!) Coincidentally the MTV Video Music Awards are this Sunday. Rumors have been circulating that Britney may attend/perform, and she conveniently has a small break in her The Circus Starring Britney Spears tour over the weekend. Beyonce is already confirmed to be a performer, but no details on which song she'll sing. I'm assuming Alanis is free since her last album was in spring 2008...

Are we going to see an Alanis tribute with Beyonce, Britney and Alanis herself a la the infamous Madonna tribute of 2003????? Can the world and my little heart handle it?!

I have no insider info about this to confirm or deny my suspicions, but if I'm right I think I might be a genius. Just sayin'...

Thoughts?