November 17, 2010

Pet Peeve: Clapping at the Movies

Last night I went to see a screening of the flick Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. No spoilers -- It was really good and fun and you'll probably like it if you enjoy the Potter series. Let me tell you something though; there are some real nerdlingers that go see Potter movies when they first come out. Not judging... just an observation.

While I completely support someone's unabashed glee and geekdom over something they love, something that I can't stand is when people clap at movies. I understand people's excitement when a new movie starts to play, or when it comes to an amazing conclusion, but can we all please be reminded that a movie is not a play or live-action presentation and there is no need to applaud because no one can hear you! Plays - Clapping. Movies - No clapping.

Not only were the Potterheads clapping at the start and finish of the film, but they couldn't help but burst into cheers every time a familiar face came on to the screen. Again, the actors can't hear you, but everyone else in the theater can, so please keep your elation to yourselves.

Maybe I'm being Grinchy, but I feel the same exact way when people applaud after landing in an airplane. Don't clap for a successful landing! That is supposed to happen! Every time! Now, if people were booing while the plane was crashing I would completely understand, but that's another story.

What do you think? Do you get annoyed when people clap at the movies? Or are you a clapper yourself? Leave a comment!