August 22, 2011

Meet the Castaways of 'Survivor: South Pacific'

The fall television season is about to start ramping up in a big away, and today CBS announced the contestants for the 23rd season of Survivor.


Survivor: South Pacific will premiere on Wednesday, September 14 at 8pm in a special 90-minute debut. And just like last season, two of the 18 total castaways will be former players looking at a chance for redemption. See who they are here!

Also returning is the "Redemption Island" twist. Each week at Tribal Council, when a castaway is voted off, they will be sent to live alone on Redemption Island and, in order to stay in the game, will need to compete in a duel against the next person eliminated. The winner of each duel earns the right to continue fighting for an opportunity to return to the game and the chance to compete for the title of Sole Survivor; and the loser is sent home.

Check out the 16 contestants who will compete alongside two returning players in Survivor: South Pacific.


Keith Tollefson (26)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: Edina, Minn.

Occupation: Water Treatment Tech

Personal claim to fame: I graduated college and moved to Hawaii for two years because that was my dream.

Whitney Duncan (27)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: Nashville, Tenn.

Occupation: Country Music Singer

Personal claim to fame: My first record Right Road Now was released on Warner Brothers in 2010. It’s definitely my biggest achievement to date.

Stacey Powell (44)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Grand Prairie, Texas

Occupation: Mortician

Personal claim to fame: Going to school and being a single parent. None of my children were ever in trouble with the law.

Rick Nelson (51)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Aurora, Utah

Occupation: Rancher

Personal claim to fame: My family and my ranch.

Sophie Clarke (22)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Willsboro, N.Y.

Occupation: Medical Student

Personal claim to fame: I won Prom Princess at my small rural high school where my graduation class was 28 students.

Albert Destrade (26)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Plantation, Fla.

Occupation: Baseball/Dating Coach

Personal claim to fame: I hit my first college home run off of a guy that was a 1st round draft pick.

Semhar Tadesse (24)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: Los Angeles

Occupation: Spoken Word Artist

Personal claim to fame: My poetry on YouTube.

Mikayla Wingle (22)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Tampa, Fla.

Occupation: Lingerie Football Player

Personal claim to fame: I was on the cover of Playboy February 2011 and met the hard working Hugh Hefner.

Mark Caruso (48)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: Forest Hills, N.Y.

Occupation: Retired NYPD Detective

Personal claim to fame: I was a NYCPD Morgue Detective for 20 years and I retired with honors from the mayor and police commissioner.

Christine Shields Markoski (39)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Merrick, N.Y.

Occupation: Teacher

Personal claim to fame: All the goals I have set for myself, I’ve accomplished.

John Cochran (24)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: Washington, D.C.

Occupation: Harvard Law Student

Personal claim to fame: I won the Dean’s Scholar Prize at Harvard Law for an essay I wrote on the Survivor jury system. It was one of the few times in my life where my personal interests and academic obligations coincided perfectly.

Elyse Umemoto (27)

Tribe Designation: Savaii

Current Residence: Las Vegas

Occupation: Dance Team Manager

Personal claim to fame: I was the second runner-up to Miss America and I raised my three younger sisters.

Jim Rice (35)

Tribe Designation: Savaii

Current Residence: Denver

Occupation: Medical Marijuana Dispenser

Personal Claim to Fame: I’ve worked on Wall Street, won over 40 poker tournaments, started several successful businesses and earned my MBA at a top five school from the University of Michigan.

Edna Ma (35)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Los Angeles

Occupation: Anesthesiologist

Personal claim to fame: I was the first in my family to finish college. I subsequently went onto complete medical school and am board certified in anesthesiology.

Dawn Meehan (41)

Tribe designation: Savaii

Current residence: South Jordan, Utah

Occupation: English Professor at Brigham Young University

Personal claim to fame: Adopting our six children.

Brandon Hantz (19)

Tribe designation: Upolu

Current residence: Katy, Texas

Occupation: Oil Tanker Crewman

Personal claim to fame: My little boy, Elijah.

If the final contestant's last name seems familiar it's because he is the nephew of Survivor all-star -- and super villain -- Russell Hantz.

Will Brandon behave like his uncle, or branch out with his own style of game play? We'll have to wait and see when Survivor: South Pacific premieres on Wednesday, September 14 on CBS.