December 23, 2005

Only in New York

Oh, Christmastime in New York, how I love and hate thee at the same time! Being in the city when all of the lights are up and the Rockefeller Tree is in place is really quite magical. The giant snow flakes on Saks light up to the music several times and hour. All of the trees look like they're made of ice with all of the lights and decorations. It's really beautiful. Unfortunately, while I'm trying to get from place to place there are approximately 64654654 tourists stopping RIGHT in the middle of the sidewalk to look up and take photos of said decorations. I swear that I have to be in the background of at least 500 people's photos making the most disgusted face you've ever seen. So many people say that New Yorkers are rude, but I think it must only be tourists who say that, because they're the only ones who walk 5 people across on the sidewalks while pointing and saying, "Well if we're at 5th avenue now... and we need to go to 42nd street..." Let's just say that I've elbowed a few dozen people in the back during the past 2 weeks!

There's always something crazy going on in NYC, and these past few weeks have been no exception! Work is going great, but I am ready for a break, that's for sure! I could have been spotted on Conan a few times this week. Most noticeably when Jim Carey came into the audience to sing a Christmas song. Check your local listings for a repeat. Things are going well though, but I'm starting to look forward to picking up another assignment after this. Something more on the creative end would be perfect at this point.

The MTA Transit Strike was in full swing this week. TWU members were only off the job for 2.5 days, but it felt like a lifetime. NBC provided some busses for transportation to and from work. It worked great on the first day, but when the bus didn't come the second day I had plenty of time to ponder the meaning of life on my 45-block walk to work... then home again, then to work again the next day, then home again last night. 3.4 miles each direction. If I'm really skinny when I come home to PA next weeek don't be surprised! Trains were running again this morning, so hopefully there will be no delays for my trip to the airport on Tuesday. Look out, Pittsburgh! I'm coming home!

No one is at work right now because for some reason people with "normal" jobs don't have to work the day before Christmas, or the Monday after. What a rip off. Until next time!