April 7, 2006

A Historic Week at NBC

What a week it has been! I have to admit, my new assignment in news publicity was going pretty slow for the first three weeks or so, but all that changed this week! In case for some reason you haven't heard (which I don't think is possible) Katie Couric announced on Wednesday that she would be leaving TODAY after 15 years in the anchor seat. After her contract expires in May she will join the CBS Evening News as the first solo female news anchor in history. Not a bad gig, Ms. Couric! The buzz surrounding the announcement was huge and made our office very busy as you can imagine. Lot's of people calling, lots of press releases and meetings to arrange and things like that. It was all pretty exiciting!

Just when I thought things couldn't get busier, they did. The day after Katie announced she was leaving NBC held a press conference to announce that Meredith Vieira would be joining the TODAY family. Very exciting again! Meredith comes from a long news background with local news, 60 Minutes and eventually cohosting The View on ABC for the past 9 years. We had to contact all of the press for the event and make sure everyone important was attending. I also go to personally make all of the press kits for everyone in attendence, so that was fun. I'm saving one for myself if you ever want to see it!

It was such a great experience to be a part of this historic day at NBC. There hasn't been a major anchor change since Bryant Gumbel left in the late 90s so it was definitely a big day for NBC News and especially news publicity. I'm really lucky to have been a part of the change, and it was exciting to know all the info weeks before everyone else!

Everything else is pretty good. SNL has been on a three week break but it's back again tomorrow night with Antonio Banderas and Mary J. Blige. Should be an awesome show. Next week is Lindsay Lohan with Pearl Jam which is going to rock in a major way. My work hours are nuts (I'm going to clock around 75 this week) but I'm hanging in there. It will all be over soon.