May 27, 2010

"What Is a Blog?"

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people misuse the word "blog" when they mean "blog entry" or "post." Like when they say "I posted a new blog today!" No, you didn't. A blog is a site, you posted an entry.

Anyway... Looks like the peeve might be the least of my worries. The folks over at Switched.com did a little man on the street video asking people "What is a blog?" and the answers were all over the map. Check it out.


This was my favorite answer:
"Postings on the web where a bunch of people who are about 1/3 as smart as they really are like to comment on stuff and believe that so many people are so interested in their lives when a lot of times they're just there pointing at their postings and laughing at them."
I mean, the dude has a point! I guess the idea of what a blog really is can nowadays be a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it's not something I use to lock up my important belongings.

What do you think a blog is? Leave a comment!